There is a little bit of preparation before starting this recipe - measuring out the ingredients and finely slicing the cabbage and chives. You will be the best judge whether your kids can help with this or not. If you can't find Shaoxing wine, just leave it out.
Kids will need supervision during the "steaming" part of this recipe depending on whether you steam on a stove top, steam over or electric steamer like I did. Tongs might be helpful to remove the dumplings after cooking.
1. Place pork mince, Chinese cabbage, oyster sauce, chives and Shaoxing rice wine, salt and pepper into the mixing bowl.
2. Mix with your hands until all ingredients are combined. Wash and dry your hands.
3. Spread out a layer of Gow gee wrappers onto a plate.
4. Place a heaped teaspoon of meat onto a wrapper.
5. Using your finger spread some water on the edge of one wrapper.
6. Fold the wrapper over covering the meat and press down.
7. Press the wrapper together and pleat. (To pleat pinch the wrapper and fold over, repeat).
8. Repeat steps 3-7 until all of the filling mixture is used.
9. Steam the dumplings in a single layer for approximately 12 minutes.
10. Serve dumplings with a dipping sauce or with a noodle soup.
Hmmm... I'm not sure why I said 2 plates but I suppose it means you can lay out more wrappers or maybe it was for the finished dumplings...
You can buy ready made dumpling dipping sauce from your local Asian grocery store or supermarket. Grownups might want some chilli sauce too!
You can find an extended version of this recipe with photographs for each step at the Your Kids OT shop. All recipes have been designed for kids (with adult supervision) or for children with a disability.
Have you made dumplings before? Enjoy!
Looking for more recipes to get your Kids in the Kitchen? Try these...
Hi, I'm Cindy and I am an Occupational Therapist. I enjoy working creatively with children to see them reach their potential. Read more about me here.
SEARCH THIS SITE
Check out my affiliate partners!
Don't miss out!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email and receive
the SHAPE ROADS PRINTABLE NOW!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription and receive your free printable!
Disclaimer: The information on this site is general in nature and should be used for educational and entertainment purposes. The activities are safe for most children, however, you should consult an Occupational Therapist or health professional to address specific movement, sensory or other medical conditions. This blog does not replace formal therapeutic professional advice given by a health professional or medical practitioner. Reviews and endorsements of products will only be made based on my expertise and personal opinion; and deemed worthy of such endorsement. The opinions shared in sponsored content will always be my own and not that of the advertising company or brand. Content, advertising space or posts will be clearly identified if paid, affiliated or sponsored. Affiliate links may be found throughout this website in advertising. This means that if you follow through with a purchase from these links, Your Kids OT will receive a percentage of the sale. Your Kids OT undertakes to meet the requirements of the "Social Media Policy" as published by Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA). Further information about this policy can be found here.
Copyright © 2017 Your Kid OT