I developed some alphabet letter roads to help with letter identification, familiarisation and formation. You can find letter roads in the Your Kids OT shop. Each letter of the alphabet is a road with black background and white road lines. The letters are in NSW Foundation font. There is a green starting dot and an arrow to indicate initial direction for correct letter formation.
You will find at the shop -
Here are a few suggestions for how to use Letter Roads...
1. Encourage your child to identify the starting point for each letter by finding the green dot.
2. If your child is unfamiliar with letter formation, you may demonstrate the correction directionality. Some children will require hand over hand assistance to obtain correct directionality.
3. You may introduce one letter at a time or a group of letters according to the current goals for your child (eg. letter of the week, a child’s name, line letters, tall letters). Refer to previous blog about Letter Families.
4. Use your finger to draw along each letter road.
5. Use a car or vehicle to drive along each letter road.
6. Use figurines or plastic animals to walk along the letter road.
7. Paint along the letter road using a paintbrush and shaving cream.
8. Roll out playdough to place along the letter road.
9. Roll a marble along each letter road.
10. Pour rice over the sheet and clear the letter road with a finger or paintbrush.
11. Write the letter using a dry-erase marker. Use different colours and make a rainbow road. Write the letter next to the example.
Laminate your letter roads for durability or place them into a plastic frame. This is a fantastic resource for your child to learn letters and practise writing them. It is also a great addition to the therapist's tool kit as you can vary the activity and grade it with various children. Purchase your own set of letter roads today at theYour Kids OT shop.
Hi, I'm Cindy and I am an Occupational Therapist. I enjoy working creatively with children to see them reach their potential. Read more about me here.
SEARCH THIS SITE
Check out my affiliate partners!
Don't miss out!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email and receive
the SHAPE ROADS PRINTABLE NOW!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription and receive your free printable!
Disclaimer: The information on this site is general in nature and should be used for educational and entertainment purposes. The activities are safe for most children, however, you should consult an Occupational Therapist or health professional to address specific movement, sensory or other medical conditions. This blog does not replace formal therapeutic professional advice given by a health professional or medical practitioner. Reviews and endorsements of products will only be made based on my expertise and personal opinion; and deemed worthy of such endorsement. The opinions shared in sponsored content will always be my own and not that of the advertising company or brand. Content, advertising space or posts will be clearly identified if paid, affiliated or sponsored. Affiliate links may be found throughout this website in advertising. This means that if you follow through with a purchase from these links, Your Kids OT will receive a percentage of the sale. Your Kids OT undertakes to meet the requirements of the "Social Media Policy" as published by Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA). Further information about this policy can be found here.
Copyright © 2017 Your Kid OT