- Learn Numbers and the Alphabet
- Uppercase (Capital) Letter Formation Occupational Therapy Program
Uppercase (Capital) Letter Formation Occupational Therapy Program
This program includes three phases of instruction for learning:
Part A: Boxes and Dots
In this section, the uppercase letters have been divided into groups according to the starting position needed to form the letters. All letters are placed inside a rectangular box to provide a visual guide. All letters are formed from either the "top centre", "top left" or "top right" of the boxes.
Part B: Hand Guide
Children should hold their non-dominant hand so that their palm faces them. Their hand becomes a visual reference for letter formation with the index finger of their "writing hand" used to draw letters.
The centre three fingers (index, third and fourth fingers) are used to represent the "top left", "top centre" and "top right" starting points for uppercase letter formation. Instructional video included.
Part C: Multisensory Worksheets
The worksheets are ordered in alphabetical order, however may be completed in the order that suits learning for the child.
Each multisensory workheet contains -
- Letter outline with green starting dot and numbered formation strokes.
- Make it - Large letter within rectangle and empty rectangle. Children can use an assortment of materials to make the letter including playdough, wikki stix, small match sticks, wool, pipe cleaners, stickers, etc. The letters may be made within the empty rectangular box provided, on the "hand guide" sheet" or a different surface (eg. window, clipboard, whiteboard, etc).
- Trace it - Children can use the hand guide to trace the letter on their non-dominant hand.
- Write it - Children can practise writing the letter with a gradual reduction in visual prompts that are faded.
- Use it - Children can write names which require capitalization. The use of boxes indicate the size and placement of letters (tall, small, tail letters).
The Uppercase (Capital) Letter OT program may also be purchased as a part of the Early Writers Bundle.